Datasets released by Russell Ranch will be accompanied with a use agreement that specifies the conditions for data use. Some datasets may be restricted by the dataset owner for a limited time only for publication purposes. For access to those restricted datasets, please contact the Russell Ranch Director. Permission to use this dataset is granted to the Data User (or person applying) free of charge subject to the following terms:
- Acceptable use. Use of the dataset will be restricted to academic, research, educational, government, recreational, or other not-for-profit professional purposes. The Data User (or individual to whom access has been granted, including collaborators needed for the their project) is permitted to produce and distribute derived works from this dataset provided that they are released under the same license terms as those accompanying this Data Set. Any other uses for the Data Set or its derived products will require explicit permission from the Russell Ranch.
- Redistribution. The data are provided for use by the Data User. This agreement must accompany all copies made and be available to all users of this Data Set. The Data User will not redistribute the original Data Set beyond collaborators on their project.
- Citation. It is considered a matter of professional ethics to acknowledge the work of other scientists. Thus, the Data User will properly cite the Data Set in any publications or in the metadata of any derived data products that were produced using the Data Set. Citation should take the following general form: Creator, Year of Data Publication, Title of Dataset, Publisher, Dataset identifier. For example:
Scow, K. 2009. Cover crop biomass yields. Davis, CA: Russell Ranch Electronic Data Archives: CC-001. [Database]. http://russellranch.ucdavis.edu/data.
- Acknowledgment. The Data User should acknowledge Russell Ranch in any publications where the Data Set contributed significantly to its content. Acknowledgements should identify the supporting party, the party that received the support, and any identifying information such as grant numbers. For example:
Data sets were provided by the Russell Ranch Sustainable Agriculture facility, part of the Agricultural Sustainability Institute at University of California, Davis.
- Notification. The Data User will notify Russell Ranch when any derivative work or publication based on or derived from the Data Set is distributed. The Data User will provide Russell Ranch with two reprints of any publications resulting from use of the Data Set and will provide copies, or on-line access to, any derived digital products. Notification will include an explanation of how the Data Set was used to produce the derived work.
- Collaboration. The Data Set has been released in the spirit of open scientific collaboration. Data Users are thus strongly encouraged to consider consultation, collaboration and/or co-authorship with the individual or institution that produced the data set.
By accepting this Data Set, the Data User agrees to abide by the terms of this agreement. The Data Owner shall have the right to terminate this agreement immediately by written notice upon the Data User's breach of, or non-compliance with, any of its terms. The Data User may be held responsible for any misuse that is caused or encouraged by the Data User's failure to abide by the terms of this agreement.
While substantial efforts are made to ensure the accuracy of data and documentation contained in this Data Set, complete accuracy of data and metadata cannot be guaranteed. All data and metadata are made available "as is". The Data User holds all parties involved in the production or distribution of the Data Set harmless for damages resulting from its use or interpretation.