Project Scientist - Russell Ranch Sustainable Ag Facility UC Davis
- Agricultural and Environmental Sciences - AGR & ENV SCI DEANS OFFICE
Open date: July 15th, 2019
Next review date: Sunday, Sep 1, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Russell Ranch Sustainable Agriculture Facility (RRSAF) (http://asi.ucdavis.edu/programs/rr) is a unique 300-acre living laboratory, part of UC Davis’ Agricultural Sustainability Institute (ASI), dedicated to the long-term study of irrigated and dryland agriculture in a Mediterranean climate. We measure the long-term impacts of crop rotation, farming systems (conventional, organic and mixed) and inputs of water, nitrogen, carbon and other elements on agricultural sustainability. Sustainability indicators include long-term trends in crop yield, profitability, resource-use efficiency (such as water or energy), soil biodiversity and environmental impacts.
We are searching for a Project Scientist to make significant and creative contributions to research in sustainable agriculture, agroecology and/or soil science, as well as support the efforts of our diverse research team. Responsibilities will include: i) designing and implementing research studies, including utilizing existing long-term data sets; ii) assisting in fund-raising and grant applications, and iii) writing original manuscripts. The Project Scientist, under the supervision of RRSAF Director and in collaboration with our research team, will engage in all aspects of study design and execution, including data acquisition; statistical analysis, modeling and interpretation of results; preparation of manuscripts, report, and proposal; and presentation of findings at conferences and outreach events. Other responsibilities will include training of students and staff in the scientific method and specific techniques, as well as some supervision of students. We aim to recruit an outstanding individual, with the appropriate background/experience and creative energy, to interact with our many collaborators and work with minimal supervision.
Candidate should have a PhD Degree in agroecology, soil science, crop science, agricultural sciences, ecology or related field. Experience in conducting research projects, field experimental design, and proposal writing is required. Candidate should have a broad range of skills in techniques/instrumentation used in agricultural research, good interpersonal and organization skills, and strong communication (oral and written) skills. Renewal of the contract will be contingent upon the availability of adequate funding and performance.
• A PhD Degree in Agricultural Science, Agroecology, Soil Science, Plant Science, Crop Science, Ecology or appropriate related field.
• Experience in research and field experimental design involving agriculture, agroecology, soil science, and/or related subjects.
• Experience with lab soil analysis and analytical instruments.
• Aptitude in communicating and extending technical information.
• Interpersonal skills to interact with diverse groups of individuals to facilitate collaborative research, provide information, resolve problems, and increase cooperation among individuals.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate via writing and orally.
• Ability to work outside in diverse conditions.
• Potential to accomplish team-based research and education programs in sustainable agriculture.
• Experience in effectively and productively interacting with multiple researchers and stakeholders.
• Expertise in statistical and graphing programs such as R, Sigmaplot.
• Experience in writing both proposals and research publications (peer-reviewed and broader audience)
• Evidence of collaborative, interpersonnel- and communication- skills.
SALARY RANGE: Salary dependent upon candidate’s qualifications/experience
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: 100% for one year (starting ASAP) with the possibility of extension dependent upon progress and funding.
TO APPLY: To apply, please go to the following link: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF02937. Candidates need to submit:
- Cover letter describing your research interests,
- curriculum vitae,
- publication list,
- copies of your three most important publications,
- copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts (if within 5 years of either degree), and
- names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five professional references.
For technical or administrative questions regarding the application process, please contact email@example.com.
The search committee will begin reviewing applications after August 1, 2019.
This position will remain open until filled.
OTHER QUESTIONS: Please direct questions to Kate Scow via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the
selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
List of Publications
Undergrad & Graduate Transcripts - if within 5 years of either degree
Cover Letter - describing your research interests
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Diversity contributions documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a diversity statement and why one is requested.
- 5-6 required (contact information only)
Download the full job description here: Project_Scientist_AD_Russell_Ranch_06.17.2019__06.18.2019_0.pdf