New members have been appointed by UC ANR VP Barbara Allen-Diaz to the advisory panel for the Sustainable Food Systems Strategic Initiative, announced Rose Hayden-Smith, initiative leader.
Among these new members are Tom Tomich, director of ASI and UC SAREP and ASI affiliated faculty member Ermias Kebreab, professor in the department of Animal Science at UC Davis and Sesnon Endowed Chair in sustainable agriculture.
Areas covered in the SFS initiative include:
- Improve Water Quality, Quantity, and Security
- Enhance Competitive, Sustainable Food Systems
- Increase Science Literacy in Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Nutrition
- Sustainable Natural Ecosystems
- Enhance the Health of Californians and California’s Agricultural Economy
- Healthy Families and Communities
- Ensure Safe and Secure Food Supplies
- Managing Endemic and Invasive Pests and Diseases
- Improve Energy Security and Green Technologies through Innovative Science Linking Engineering, Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Sciences