Get involved with the Student Farm!
We offer several avenues for students to learn and explore at the Student Farm. We offer a number of opportunities across a wide variety of programs - find out more about these programs here.
Students can participate at the Student Farm in the following capacities:
**UPDATE: As we work towards taking precautions to prevent the spread of COVID 19, the Student Farm cannot accept any volunteers at this time. Thank you for your patience as we assess the risk for each new quarter. Let us know if you have any questions and stay safe! (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Students and community members can volunteer with many of our programs. There is no minimum time commitment for volunteers. Our capacity for volunteers varies by program.
- Volunteer in the Market Garden and learn about farm scale organic mixed vegetable production - Drop-in volunteer hours are Monday -Friday from 8 am - noon
- Volunteer in the Ecological Garden and learn about small scale sustainable gardening and flower production - limited volunteer opportunities, must commit 2 hours/week
To express interest in volunteering sign up here
**UPDATE: As we work towards taking precautions to prevent the spread of COVID 19, the Student Farm had to stop hiring interns during Spring Quarter 2020. We have been able to bring on 3 interns for Summer Session 1, and we are still figuring out our plan for Summer Session 2. Therefore, we may not respond immediately to internship interest requests, as we are unsure how many new interns we will be able to hire. Thank you for your patience as we assess the risk for each new quarter. Let us know if you have any questions and stay safe! (email@example.com).
UC Davis students can earn academic credit for their work at the farm; 30 hours of work earns students one unit. In addition to completing these hours, interns are required to complete reflective written work and check in regularly with an assigned mentor. We offer internships in the following programs:
- Market Garden: interns learn about small-scale organic mixed vegetable production
- Ecological Garden and Flower Project: interns learn about non-mechanized backyard gardening and small-scale sustainable flower production
- Fresh Focus: interns work to address student food insecurity and farm food loss
- SCOPE: interns learn about plant breeding for organic systems
Interns are encouraged to sign up well before the quarter begins.
We offer a number of student employment positions at the farm. Please visit our Employment page for more information on current and potential opportunities.
The Student Farm is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive learning environment. Students with a wide variety of backgrounds and interests are welcome and encouraged to become involved. No prior farming or gardening experience is required.
Find out more
Take a tour!
Our introductory tours provide a great chance for those interested in getting involved at the farm to learn more about how they can participate in what we do. We offer the following tours for those interested in internships at the Student Farm.
Tour starts from the front of the Student Farm Field House.
If you would like to join the Student Farm as an intern or volunteer, please fill out our Interest Form:
Someone will be in touch with you within a few business days.
If you have any questions, please contact us.